Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - Thursday, October 20, 2011
Regional Workshop on Research, Development and Capacity Building at the University Level to Support Renewable Energy Development in the Caribbean
The event to be held in Paramaribo, Suriname is part of the ongoing collaboration between the CARICOM Energy Programme and the Energy and Climate Partnership of the Americas (ECPA) Caribbean Initiative, managed by the Organization of American States. This workshop aims at developing a Regional Sustainable Energy Roadmap and Strategy which will establish a targeted and strategic approach to significantly increasing the contribution of renewable energy and energy efficiency to the regional energy matrix. Research, development and capacity building are critical components of this endeavor, of which the universities and research institutes are key players.
The key objectives of the workshop are to:
- identify all existing and planned renewable energy research and development efforts (scope and focus), and programmes offered in the various Universities in the region;
- facilitate a dialogue towards a rationalized, strategic and coordinated approach to advancing research, development and capacity building to support renewable energy development;
- establish a network among universities in CARICOM, as well as the wider Caribbean and beyond involved in renewable energy research, development and training;
- identify currently available technical and financial assistance opportunities and support at the hemispheric level and global level to support initiatives; and
- identify mechanisms for establishing dynamic links between research and development efforts in university and industry for mutual benefits.
Wednesday, 12 October, 2011